Tuesday, March 30, 2010

four: are all those memories so easy to forget?

Song: If You Don't Love Me, Jason Blaine


I was so tired, I barely got any sleep that night. Maybe a couple hours at the most. I knew I had to drive back to Montreal, but I also knew that trying to stay here longer and sleep wouldn’t do any good, because I wouldn’t sleep.

I packed up my things and went down to the small restaurant in the hotel. I grabbed myself a large coffee and sat for a bit, going back through my head what happened between Carey and I.

I felt my phone vibrating in my back pocket. I looked at the name, Ryan. I was caught off guard that he was calling me, but I answered anyways.

“Hey” I said, “What’s up?”

“Have you talked to Annie?” he asked, “No Rems we are not getting ice cream at 8am”

I just laughed, “Um, no I haven’t, why?”

“She wasn’t home when I woke up this morning”

“Oh…that’s not like her. She hasn’t even called or texted me”

“Oh, maybe she just decided to stay somewhere else…”

“Don’t worry Ryan, everything will be just fine”

I looked up as I said that and swore I saw Anna walking through the hotel. I shook my head and she was gone. It couldn’t have been, I’m running on 2 hours of sleep, I’m hallucinating.

“DADDY, WHERE IS MOMMY!?” I heard on the other end.

“Sorry Julie” you could hear him set the phone down, “Mommy is gone right now sweetie” he said quietly, “I’m taking you to school this morning okay?”

You could hear rustling as he picked up the phone and his voice came on again, “Sorry about that, I should go, just let me know if you hear anything, she won’t answer her phone”

“I will, talk to you soon Ryan”

I set my phone down on the table, hoping to hear from Carey, but I wasn’t getting anything, maybe I should just call him myself. I went to dial but I hesitated and set the phone down, maybe he wouldn’t want to hear from me right now. Maybe it’s just best I let him do his thing and see him tonight.

I took a last gulp of my coffee and threw the cup in the trash. I grabbed my bag and found my car in the parking lot, throwing my things into the back. I plugged in my ipod and turned on some Kings of Leon. They really knew how to make me feel better.

It was all I listened to as I drove back to Montreal. It’s all I could listen to because everything else would make me cry. I made it back to Montreal safely, no falling asleep, I was pretty proud of myself. It was close to 2 once I made it to my apartment, maybe being home I’d be able to get some sleep, it would also help get my mind off of all of this.

My eyes opened and the clock said 6:03. Great, I was going to be late for the game. I cleaned myself up and grabbed my keys, driving through the stand still traffic to get to the Bell Centre.

I walked down towards the dressing room and saw Carey, I didn’t find myself smiling or even feeling anything when I saw him. When his eyes fell on me, he had a look of fear, or maybe it was guilt. Why?

“Hey baby…” he said hesitating but giving me a gentle hug.

“You ok?”

“Just tired” he said quickly, “Why?”

“You just don’t seem like yourself”

He looked nervous now, like I was getting closer to the truth. I didn’t even know what truth I was looking for.

“Seriously, what’s going on Carey?”

“I promise, it’s nothing” he said reassuringly. He looked down at the phone in his hand and slightly smiled and then looked back up at me.

“I know you too well to know it’s not nothing. You’re scaring me…”

“It’s not you ok? I promise, it’s just…my sister”

I didn’t press the issue, “fine. I’ll see you after the game”

I just swallowed a lump in my throat and walked in the direction of the box. I just sat down and watched as the team came out for warm-ups. I knew he wasn’t starting so Halak would be warming up with the team. I didn’t know what was going on anymore. He was keeping something from me, I could feel it.

*Carey’s POV*

It wasn’t my sister. It was Anna. I knew very well what I was doing wasn’t exactly…right. At the same time, I was lonely. Anna was something different, new for a change. Four years with Julie was honestly getting boring. I did love her, at one point, but I just don’t think it was there anymore.

Ryan? Why the hell should I care what I did to Ryan? Ryan didn’t care what he did to me. He had everything and I didn’t have nearly close to what he had. I will take it all away from him if I can.

“We’re coming to Montreal at the beginning of the month, I’m sure we can plan something for then ; )” is what she put. All I could do was smirk but it was a mischievous smirk.

This sneaking around thing was really fun. I knew she was unhappy with Ryan and I was unhappy with Julie. In fact all it is, is two lonely people having a good time. There’s no love at all. But I’ll take it, because Julie never gave me what Anna did give me in one night.

No comments:

Post a Comment